Unravelling the complexities of Europe in an ever-changing world requires an understanding of the past and the present. Would you like to research how people and their texts, ideas, and cultural objects migrate across time and place and inquire into their roles in new contexts? If yes, then you may have a part to play as a PhD candidate at the Radboud Institute for Culture & History.
As a PhD candidate at RICH, you will be part of the Graduate School for the Humanities. Up to 75% of your time will be devoted to the research for and writing of your PhD thesis. The remaining 25% will be spent on training and academic service to the Faculty of Arts, including teaching. Your thesis topic and research question should align with the research themes of RICH. Descriptions of our research groups can be found here. We are looking for four PhD candidates in total.
The Faculty of Arts is committed to knowledge production with a significant scientific and social impact. With over 500 academic and support staff, we teach and conduct research in the fields of history and art, languages and cultures, and linguistics and communication, using innovative methodologies and working in close collaboration between the disciplines. Our research is embedded in two research institutes: the Centre for Language Studies (CLS) and the Radboud Institute for Culture & History (RICH). We currently have approximately 2,500 students, enrolled in three departments: the Department of History, Art History and Classics, the Department of Modern Languages and Cultures, and the Department of Language and Communication. We aim to contribute to a more sustainable and inclusive world, which is why we especially seek applications from candidates who bring diverse perspectives, backgrounds and skills that will be assets to our study programmes and research profiles.
Click here for more information about the organisation.
We want to get the best out of science, others and ourselves. Why? Because this is what the world around us desperately needs. Leading research and education make an indispensable contribution to a healthy, free world with equal opportunities for all. This is what unites the more than 24,000 students and 5,600 employees at Radboud University. And this requires even more talent, collaboration and lifelong learning. You have a part to play!
Additional employment conditions
Work and science require good employment practices. This is reflected in Radboud University’s primary and secondary employment conditions. You can make arrangements for the best possible work-life balance with flexible working hours, various leave arrangements and working from home. You are also able to compose part of your employment conditions yourself, for example, exchange income for extra leave days and receive a reimbursement for your sports subscription. And of course, we offer a good pension plan. You are given plenty of room and responsibility to develop your talents and realise your ambitions. Therefore, we provide various training and development schemes.
Would you like more information?
For questions about the position, please contact Suzanne van de Liefvoort, Coordinator of the Graduate School for the Humanities at +31 24 361 55 59 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Practical information and applying
You can apply until 8 September, exclusively using the button below. Kindly address your application to Dr Suzanne van de Liefvoort. Please fill in the application form and attach the following documents (as PDFs):
- A letter of motivation explaining why you want to conduct your PhD at RICH and your PhD thesis supervisor of choice.
- Your CV, including the names and contact information of two references, one of which should be your MA thesis supervisor. (Please do not add any letters of recommendation.)
- A 500-word summary of your research proposal.
- A full transcript of grades obtained at BA and MA level.
Shortlisted applicants will be invited to write a full proposal according to the guidelines that will be sent to them. Interviews of selected candidates will take place between 27 November and 1 December. You would preferably begin employment on 1 February 2024.
We can imagine you’re curious about our application procedure. It offers a rough outline of what you can expect during the application process, how we handle your personal data and how we deal with internal and external candidates.