The two positions are in the field of International Relations with an emphasis on issue areas related to one of our five specialisations: International Political Economy, International Security, History and Theory of IR, European Integration, Globalisation Studies and Humanitarian Action. You should in particular be able to contribute to introductory courses in IR theory, international politics, history of IR, social science research methodologies and international organisation.
You are coming from an interdisciplinary background of which International Relations, Political Science, International Law or other social sciences are component parts.
Your qualities are demonstrated by:
• a completed master programme and a completed or about to be completed PhD in one of the relevant disciplines
• excellent proven oral and written skills in English (C1/C2 level)
• excellent social and communicative skills
• experience in academic teaching, at various levels and in various formats.
Conditions of employment
We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
• a salary depending on qualifications and work experience starting from a minimum of € 2,709 to a maximum of € 4,274 (salary scale 10) gross per month based on a full-time appointment
• 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year gratification, and participation in a pension scheme for employees
• a position for 0.7 FTE and 0.75 FTE for a period of twelve months; the contract might be renewed for another twelve months, depending on student numbers and/or staff availability.
The starting date is 1 September 2019
How to apply
Do you meet our qualification criteria? If yes, your application should include:
• a letter of motivation
• a curriculum vitae
• an overview of previous teaching
• student evaluations of previously taught courses (if available)
• contact details of two referees.
Apply for this job via the employer’s website. You can submit your application until 14 July 11.59pm / before 15 July 2019 Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form.
The selection procedure may include a lecture or presentation. The lecture and the interview will take place via Skype.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our University. We are committed to building a diverse faculty so you are encouraged to apply. Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP), https://nvpplaza.nl/download/?id=7714 and European Commission’s European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers, https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
Fixed-term contract: 12 months
Faculty of Arts
The Department of International Relations and International Organization (IRIO) is committed to top tier research combined with high quality education. This dedication to excellence is apparent at both the undergraduate, graduate and PhD levels. IRIO, with over 50 staff members, provides high quality, interdisciplinary and international bachelor and master degree programmes. Students and staff study international relations and the role of international organisations in an integrated manner from historical, political, economic and legal angles. The Department provides an international working environment for a growing number of foreign students and research staff. The bachelor and master degree programmes are taught in English. There are currently about 1,000 students registered for IRIO programmes. Additionally, the Department is responsible for the Erasmus Mundus master degree programme in International Humanitarian Action, and the research master programme Modern History and International Relations. Research in the Department of IRIO is organised under the responsibility of the five chairs of the Department, respectively: International Security, International Political Economy, European Integration, History and Theory of International Relations, and Globalisation Studies and Humanitarian Action.
The Department of International Relations and International Organization (IRIO) at the Faculty of Arts of the University of Groningen offers two positions as Lecturer (0.7 – 0.75 FTE) for a period of 12 months.
Dr Julia Costa Lopez, BA Coordinator