We are looking for applicants for a Full professor position in Theory and History of Education for the unit Pedagogy. He/she will manage the unit Pedagogy, including the supervision of its academic staff. He/she contributes to the bachelor and master programme in courses related to the theory and history of education and in guiding thesis projects of students. He/she also supervises internal and external PhD students, in cooperation with colleagues. He/she will be leading the research group “Education in Culture”, by stimulating scholarly exchange of ideas and critical reflection and by playing an active role in attracting funding. In doing so, he/she will start on research projects, often in cooperation with other units, both within and outside the department. He/she will act as an advocate of the importance of theoretical, historical and intercultural reflections both nationally and internationally.
Candidates should have an excellent reputation in the areas of research and education in educational issues from historical and/or philosophical perspectives. They should also meet the full professor criteria as laid out in the faculty’s tenure track policy.
We are looking for candidates who meet the following requirements:
a PhD degree in a field relevant to the theory and history of education, with evident interest in (current) educational issues
– an internationally renowned expert in theory and history of education or an adjacent discipline
– an excellent publication record, both scientifically and in terms of public engagement and outreach
– evidence of the ability to attract funding
– evidence of successful supervision of PhD students
– excellent teaching skills for both small and large groups of students and the ability to coordinate and develop courses
– a team player with good communication skills
– good managerial and cooperation skills
– good proficiency to speak and write both in English and in Dutch (or dedicated to learn Dutch).
Conditions of employment
The University of Groningen offers a salary depending on qualifications and work experience starting with € 5,582 to a maximum of € 8,127 gross per month (salary scale H2 Dutch Universities, based on full-time employment).
Secondary benefits, based on the Collective Employment Agreement of the Dutch Universities are excellent in general and include e.g. a pension scheme, flexible employment conditions and salaries are supplemented with a holiday allowance of 8% and end-of-year bonus of 8.3% per year.
A more detailed description of the position (structuurrapport) is available on request: email@example.com
Starting date: September 2019
Please send your application until 31 March 11:59pm / before 1 April 2019 Dutch local time by means of the application form (click on “Apply” below the advertisement on the university website).
Your application should include your motivation, curriculum vitae, individual mark sheets, and contact information of at least two academic references.