You will be working in the Department of History. We are an active and international teaching and research group comprising some 45 people covering all the chronological and thematic fields within the historical sciences. You will prepare, monitor and teach (new) course units on Modern History and the Theory and Philosophy of History. You will produce research and supervise undergraduate, graduate and PhD students. You will develop new ideas in research and education, and secure funding (independently or jointly) for future research. You will collaborate with colleagues within the History programmes, as well as with other departments in the Faculty (including within externally funded projects) and with international guest researchers.
We offer you a position in which you will dedicate 60% of your time to teaching (including administration) and 40% to research.
You will participate in the Groningen Research Institute for the Study of Culture (https://www.rug.nl/research/icog/).
Conditions of employment
We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
– a minimum gross salary of € 3,637 (salary scale 11) and a maximum gross salary of € 5,656 (salary scale 12) per month for a full-time position, depending on your qualifications and work experience
– 8% holiday allowance, 8.3% end-of-year bonus and participation in an employee pension scheme; favourable tax agreements may apply to non-Dutch applicants
– 232 holiday hours per calendar year for a full-time position
– an appointment on temporary basis for 5 years.
For more detailed information about working conditions and working for the University of Groningen, please refer to: https://www.rug.nl/about-us/work-with-us/
The appointee will ideally start on 1 January 2020.
How to apply
Do you meet our qualification criteria? If yes, upload these PDF files (all in English):
1. Letter of motivation, including a brief statement about your research accomplishments and future research goals
3. List of five self-selected ‘best papers’ plus a complete list of publications and the names and contact details of three referees
4. Teaching evaluations (if available)
5. Appropriate writing sample.
You can submit your application until 21 August 11:59 pm / before 22 August 2019 Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form (click on ‘Apply’ at the bottom of the vacancy notice on the university website).
We will only consider complete applications that are submitted by the deadline.
The selection interviews will take place in September/October 2019 and will include an on campus lecture.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our University. We are committed to building a diverse faculty so you are encouraged to apply. Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP), https://nvp-plaza.nl/download/?id=7714 and European Commission’s European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers, https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
Fixed-term contract: 60 months
Faculty of Arts
The Faculty of Arts builds on a long-standing tradition going back four centuries. Our mission is to be a top-ranking faculty providing both excellent education and world-class research, with a strong international orientation as well as firm roots in the Northern Netherlands. We build on knowledge and share the benefits with society. We are part of a broad, modern and international institution, educating over 5.000 Dutch and international students to become ambitious, articulate and independent individuals. We are a diverse and hardworking team of 700 staff members.
Allyson Bulthuis, HR Advisor